Wedding in Italy

Atto Notorio & Apostille


Atto Notorio is only required for US and Australian Citizens.

An Atto Notorio (Sworn Affidavit) is an affidavit to be done prior the wedding in an Italian Consulates in Australia or in the US.

In order to get your Atto Notorio you must do a declaration relative to the civil status in front of the Italian Consulate with two witnesses (provided by you) and book an appointment with the nearest Italian Consulate to where you live.

You can also opt to do your Atto Notorio in Italy. We will be happy to book an appointment for you.

In case you would opt to do your Atto Notorio in Italy we will also provide you the witnesses and we will handle all legalities, appointments and interpreter.

In order to get your Atto Notorio you should be able to provide the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Birth certificate (it has to be translated into Italian and apostilled)
  • Divorce decree or death certificate (If previously divorced/widowed) they also have to be translated and apostilled.
  • Italian translations of all of the above

Please note that at the top of the page of the Atto Notorio the detail " Repubblica Italiana" and "Consolato Generale D'Italia" are specifically written, otherwise the Atto Notorio is not valid.

Translations have to be authenticated by the Italian Consulate.




It is not a regular Notary Public stamp but a form of authentication issued to documents for use in foreigners countries: requested only to US Citizens.

With this certification by the Hague Convention apostille, the document is entitled to recognition in the country of intended use, and no certification by the Authentications Office or legalization by the embassy or consulate of the foreign country where the document is to be used is required.

The Authentications Office only certify to documents from other federal agencies and officials from foreign governments with the apostille.

The Department of State, Authentications Office is responsible for signing and issuing certificates under the Seal of the U.S. Department providing authentication services to U.S. citizens and foreign nationals on documents that will be used overseas.

The apostille is a document stapled to your original document by the Secretary of State Notary Public and has to be placed on birth/divorce/death certificates, required for your Civil Wedding in Italy.

If you are a Naturalized US Citizen: your naturalization certificate will substitute for your birth certificate and must be apostilled.

Send an Enquiry

< Go Back to all Requirements