Wedding in Italy

Requirements For Australians

Before Arriving in Italy

Before leaving Australia, we strongly recommend that you obtain an Atto Notorio (sworn declaration) from the Italian Embassy or Consulate in Australia in the state where you reside.

Make sure you travel with your Australian passport. If you were married before, bring evidence of the termination of the previous marriage. Please note that a divorced woman who wants to marry again within 300 days of the date of her divorce must contact the local Italian authorities and seek special permission from an Italian magistrate. Otherwise, she must allow the required period of 300 days to elapse.

If you are widowed, you must bring the death certificate of your previous spouse. Certificates can be obtained from the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Once in Italy

In addition to the Atto Notorio, an Australian citizen intending to get married in Italy will need to make a Statutory Declaration (Nulla Osta).

This Statutory Declaration must be signed whether you are single, divorced or widowed and you will do so in the presence of an Australian Consular officer at the Australian Embassy in Rome or Australian Consulate-General in Milan.

A Nulla Osta literally states that "there are no impediments," or that one is free to marry. The Nulla Osta (Statutory Declaration) is valid for three months.

The Nulla Osta must then be legalised by the Uffico Legalizzazioni of the Prefettura. Your personal wedding planner will help organise this appointment, please keep in mind that in certain regions of Italy your presence will be required.

The cost of each revenue stamp (marca da bollo) which costs Euro 16.

Get your Atto Notorio in Italy

If you are unable to obtain an "Atto di notorietà per uso matrimonio" (also known as Atto Notorio) from an Italian Consulate in Australia you may obtain one from the Tribunale Civile in Italy.

The Tribunale Civile requires that you make an appointment in advance before going there for an Atto Notorio therefore you should advise in advance your wedding planner to reserve an appointment for you.

Foreign citizens who wish to obtain an Atto Notorio stating that they are free to marry, must show a "Permesso di Soggiorno" or an entry visa or a ticket which shows recent entry into Italy or into the European Union. The person requesting the Atto Notorio must attend in person together with two adult witnesses.

If either spouse or one of the witnesses does not speak Italian, it is necessary to provide an interpreter, in addition to the two witnesses. The Italian Wedding Event can book this service.

N.B. Neither spouse can act as witness or interpreter.

Send an Enquiry

< Go Back to all Requirements