Magnificent Church in Venice
Church built by Andrea Palladio in 1577
The Church of the Holy Redeemer is a 16th Century Roman Church located on the island of the Giudecca, in Venice.
It was designed by the architect Andrea Palladio and built as a votive church to dedicate to the Redeemer for having delivered the city from a serious outbreak of the plague that decimated the city from 1575-1576.
The Venetian Senate promised that every year the Doge would cross the Canale of the Giudecca on a bridge of boats as homage to Christ. This procession is still celebrated every year, in July.
Thank to its prominent position, it dominates the skyline of the island and its visible from the Piazza San Marco.
Inside you can admire several paintings by Pintoretto, Paolo Veronese and Francesco Bassano.
The Church has a single nave with three chapels on either side. The white marble facade dominates surmounted by a large dome between small towers and a stature of the Redeemer.
The result is one of the most impressive Church and famous Church in Venice!