The Cathedral On The Beach
Beautiful Baroque Duomo
The Cathedral of S. Mary in Positano dates back to the 13th Century and is situated in the real heart of Positano overlooking the sea.
To reach the church you must walk through a very romantic street covered with arches of bougainvilleas in bloom. Its location is unbeatable only few minutes walk to the main beach. The splendid majolica dome and large entrance, adorned with works of art by Mimmo Paladino, make the perfect setting for an unforgettable wedding.
One of the finer cathedrals in Positano, this Duomo enjoys a splendid position dominating the town and bay. In front is a lovely esplanade; from here an ancient set of stairs leads you to the heart of town. Very choreographic for photos. Inside the white and gold interior is truly elegant with sunlight streaming in shining its rays on the precious works of art decorating every corner.
This is a sunny church and ideal for weddings. Formerly of a single nave with a prestigious floor decorated with Byzantine mosaics. On the main altar you can admire the beautiful icon of the Black Virgin with child. The legend tells that this icon arrived to Positano from the sea. The floor of the church, eighteenth century, was probably created by the Neapolitan School of Chiajese, the same artists that worked on the Santa Chiara cloister in Naples.
- The inside can host up to 120 guests.
- Only Catholic weddings are allowed.
- Ceremony is celebrated by an English speaking priest.
- Music: talented organist, soprano, a local choir, string quartet or a guitar player are available.
- Floral arrangements are possible on the altar and on the pews.
- Best time to get married in Positano: from April until the beginning of November